[arch-general] bluetooth pairing with cellphone

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Mon Aug 24 14:08:58 EDT 2009

Dieter Plaetinck schrieb:
> I have a system where everything is up to date, bluez is installed etc.
> the configs are all pretty much default.
> I did need to enable HID2HCI_ENABLE="true" in /etc/conf.d/bluetooth otherwise the bluetoothd daemon would abort immediately after startup ( ? )

Your bluetooth dongle shows in the system as a HID device. This allows
operating systems that are not bluetooth-aware (or even the bootloader)
to use a bluetooth keyboard or mouse.
hid2hci switches your bluetooth dongle to HCI mode, so you have full
bluetooth functionality.

I've never had such a dongle before.

> ERROR:dbus.proxies:Introspect error on org.bluez:/: dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied: Rejected send message, 2 matched rules; type="method_call", sender=":1.33" (uid=1000 pid=5982 comm="/usr/bin/python /usr/bin/blueman-manager ") interface="org.freedesktop.DBus.Introspectable" member="Introspect" error name="(unset)" requested_reply=0 destination="org.bluez" (uid=0 pid=4642 comm="/usr/sbin/bluetoothd "))

This error is different from the one we had on the weekend. Probably
because none of us thought about "ps ax|grep bluetoothd"

> do i need to be in some kind of group or something? There was no post install message, nor info about this on the wiki page (http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Bluetooth)

I still think this is some dbus permission stuff, but that is voodoo for me.

>    2b) if I run blueman-manager as root I can pair (hooray).
>

> But actually I don't want to run stuff as root, nor do I want to use the bloatware that is blueman-manager.

You only need to pair once, so you don't need root for now. However, it
would be nice to do the next pairing without it.