[arch-general] conclusion: Another rant on arch way abuse and false promises

Arvid Picciani aep at exys.org
Wed Dec 2 06:03:36 EST 2009

Piyush P Kurur wrote:

>   Okey so you agree that Arch != Ubuntu. Now we have a way forward.

heh yeah, sorry, that comparison is rather childish. I regret i
responded to Thomas mail...

> Arvid's reply to me made me search for antidesktop (I did not know
> about such a movement)

i have no idea how "official" that term is.  its used by various
projects to denote "not centered around traditional windows desktop ideas"

and I find this xorg-server-antidesktop 1.6.1.1

yeah for example that.

> in AUR. Whatever happended to it I do not know. Arvid can you start
> maintainning it

yes. in fact i just have to publish my local repository.

> and may be give it the status that if finally makes to
> the official Arch repository ?

I'm uncertain about how to handle this right now. It would require a
mediator for me to contribute to arch as i am incapable of finding
common ground. You sound like you are able to do that?

> You dont have to fork Arch for that.

yeah, a custom repo would work i think. I'd just grab official packages
and remove stuff anyway.

> I  for one would definitely use this instead of the standard xorg-server
> with hal/dbus as I have always been a xmonad + xterm + screen user.
> I  think there is nothing wrong in having two xorg-server packages
> besides anitdesktop sounds so cool.

well the work certainly is "cool" :D
but it's a serious HCI concern brought up here.
I think the original author of that phrase did write a good article
about it, if i remember correctly.

--
Arvid
Asgaard Technologies