[arch-general] X server freeze on logout (WAS: Re: latest updates broke kde3, kde4, twm & console login ability)

Rafa Griman rafagriman at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 02:55:52 EDT 2009

Hi :)

On Tuesday 14 July 2009 15:43:58 Thomas Bächler wrote:
> Rafa Griman schrieb:
> > I'm also having issues with my intel gfx card on 3 laptops (Dell Latitude
> > D610, MSI Wind and Acer ONE netbooks). When you hit Ctrl+Alt+F1 you get a
> > VT but when you hit Alt+F7 you don't get the X (KDE 4.2 stable in my
> > case) session back. This happens on all 3 laptops with Intel gfx card and
> > latest updates :(
> >
> > EXA acceleration, no UXA (can't get it to work properly: when you log out
> > from KDE 4.2 stable it just hangs there with a black screen without fully
> > logging out).
>
> You should really use UXA and KMS. The "hang" on logout is because kdm
> tries to resurrect the X server and reuse it for the next login, which
> is a bad idea as far as I have heard. Solve it by editing
> /usr/share/config/kdm/kdmrc and adding TerminateServer=true to a
> [X-*-Core] section, then restart kdm. UXA and KMS should work fine then,
> and VT switching is completely stable with that.

Thanks for the tip. I've tried using UXA but I can't get it to work properly:
when I open OOo (for example), some buttons don't get redrawn, sometimes it's
the window that doesn't redraw (open file dialog, for example). That's why I'm
sticking with EXA.

I'll try this weekend and see if I get UXA + KMS working.

Thanks !!

   Rafa

--
"We cannot treat computers as Humans. Computers need love."

rgriman at skype.com
rgriman at jabberes.org