[arch-general] freetype2 with enabled tt bytecode interpreter, license issues?

Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi vmlinuz386 at yahoo.com.ar
Mon May 4 12:17:13 EDT 2009

Hi,

Because it is being a topic of great interest to the licenses of the
packages, I question, because I'm not good at anything legal issues:

This package with this option enabled, not is problematic in legal terms?
http://freetype.sourceforge.net/patents.html

Personally in my machine, I recompiled this package without the patch, I
prefer the auto-hinting from freetype2, because fonts looks better (at
least on CRT), I know that this can be configured with fontconf, but
because some programs/libs based on xpdf libs (example poppler*, kpdf),
look at headers at compile time instead of using fontconfig I recompile
these packages too.

Searching in the bug tracker i found this old ticket
http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/2033

Citation from ftoption.h:

  /* Define TT_CONFIG_OPTION_BYTECODE_INTERPRETER if you want to
compile   */
  /* a bytecode interpreter in the TrueType driver.  Note that there
are   */
  /* important patent issues related to the use of the
interpreter.        */

/*                                                                       */
  /* By undefining this, you will only compile the code necessary to
load  */
  /* TrueType glyphs without
hinting.                                      */

  /*   Do not #undef this macro here, since the build system
might         */
  /*   define it for certain configurations
only.                          */

Thanks for your time.

--
Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi ( djgera )