[arch-general] freetype2 with enabled tt bytecode interpreter, license issues?

Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi vmlinuz386 at yahoo.com.ar
Mon May 4 20:00:30 EDT 2009

Attila wrote:
> On Montag, 4. Mai 2009 23:06 Jan de Groot wrote:
>

>> Deactivating the patch can be done by fontconfig configuration, so you
>> don't have to recompile freetype at all for this.
>>

> That's what i have done and i'm satisfied with it but Gerardo speaks about
> problems with kpdf and poppler when this patch is included. This is why i'm
> suprised about it and the freetype authors seems to be satisfied with the
> auto-hinting too.

Currently the only package afected are poppler* (or at least that I
use/know).
I was talking about kpdf, but this is an old example. In KDE4 Okular
uses shared lib poppler, not a private copy. The same applies to Evince
(from GNOME)
So only poppler* is needed to be recompiled.

Sample screenshots, can apreciate the problem:

This is a Okular rendering a pdf document with the poppler* from Arch Linux:
http://archlinux.djgera.com.ar/screenshoots/okular-bad.png

And this is with poppler* recompiled without bytecode freetype patch: (
or simply commenting the apropiate libs in poppler* :) )
http://archlinux.djgera.com.ar/screenshoots/okular-good.png

>> As for the licensing: AFAIK even Debian ships with the bytecode
>> interpreter enabled these days
>>

> The license is not my first intension and i think the most distributions
> activate the bytecode interpreter.
>
> Still again, i only discuss and don't say "we have to do". -)

Exactly.
> See you, Attila

Chau

--