[arch-general] Koffice help won't work in kde3 - Any suggestions?

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Tue May 19 10:38:34 EDT 2009

David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E. wrote:
> OOOH,
>
> 	This is much worse than I thought. kword will not even open a text file
> without crashing. Where does this bug go? Arch, kdemod or kde?. I seems like
> it should go to Arch because there is something wildly incompatible between
> the koffice build and kde3. Here is the additional kcrash backtract from
> trying to open the text file if that will help sort out where the bug should
> go. Thanks.
>
> 	Also, here is the *contents* of the 1-line txt file kword crashed trying to
> open:
>
> 	2008-03-08a-MERGED.txt
>
> Yes, that is the total 22 byte contents that crashed kmail. And this is a RC
> release???

Seems to me this is a kdemod issue, though not necessarily a bug.  You'd
need to get a version of koffice that's built for kdemod3, since the one
that Arch provides is built for KDE4.  Doesn't look like kdemod3
supplies one though.  Perhaps if the PKGBUILD is not too difficult, you
might be able to do it yourself.  You can probably browse back in Arch's
SVN and locate the spot where koffice got upgraded for KDE4, and then
take the old PKGBUILD and try building it yourself.

HTH,

DR