[arch-general] Fix or not fix? install scriptlets with user handling.

Attila attila at invalid.invalid
Fri May 29 01:12:11 EDT 2009

On Freitag, 29. Mai 2009 00:03 Daenyth Blank wrote:

> -1. Restarting it automatically is also bad. If it's currently
> stopped, restarting it will still start it, and the user may not want
> it stopped at all (which restarting it would do).

If the user don't want that a daemon get restarted than he/she can solve this
by not upgrading this package in this moment and do it it later.

The question is more what do you have from a new update on the harddisk but
you runs the old one in the memory. And if you have fear that a new config
will be a problem than you only defer this problem to the next reboot and
risk that the user can't remember why it happens that the daemon don't start.

I'm a little bit surprised that on the one side you think that the user is
competent enough to recognize that a *.pacnew file have to be merged with his
config and on the other side you think he/she is too incompetent to recognize
why the restart of his daemon fails after the update.

So therefore from my view restarting has more advantages than doing nothing.

See you, Attila