[arch-general] Fresh install of 2009.08 -> hal, dbus, PK - no mount of usb for normal user (again...)

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Thu Nov 5 01:06:36 EST 2009

Guys,

I did a fresh install of 2009.08 on a new drive for my laptop. For the past 8 months, I have never gotten the freedesktop.org -- removable policy to work. (well, maybe for a week or so before the kernel change in July). I wanted to make sure I got it right this time so I haven't monkeyed with the policies yet.

In kde4, all of my removable devices are properly recognized (usb sticks, 2.5" laptop drives connected via usb, etc.). Despite being recognized properly,

(1) the user cannot access the drives - until root has accessed them (like opening konqueror su)

(2) none of the drives are mounted for the user under /media - until root has accessed them

What makes no sense to me is that after root has accessed the drives, the user can use them (I guess the actual "mount" occurs when root access the drives, even though kde4 shows them as connected for the user through the notifier popup in the task bar)

I finally just wrote a script to mount removables under /mnt that can be called by the users (basically uses sudo to mount and case on partition name and size to mount the drives on the proper mount points)

Something has got to give. I've wiki'ed myself into a coma and still -- no joy. If one of the arch mount-removable gurus would just slip me the secret, I would be much abliged :-) It has to be simple, but simplicity has escaped me for quite some time now. However, I am determined to get it right with the new install. I know the wiki well, but where is the other document that I can use along with the wiki to make sure I have a good working system?

Thanks for any help you can give. Sincerely yours, "stumped by hal, dbus and PK. Rankin"

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC