[arch-general] usable browser?

Rogutės Sparnuotos rogutes at googlemail.com
Thu Nov 26 21:08:30 EST 2009

Arvid Picciani (2009-11-27 00:38):
> Hi,
> ever since ff3 turned firefox into unusable, i'm on the quest to
> find a usable browser.
> Chromium was quite decent for a while (after fixing the dbus
> dependency) despite it deadlocks when you mouse-move tabs
> (fortunately i dont do that anyway), but recently it started timing
> out on every second request.
> The answer from google was: deactivate your windows firewall, so
> well.. back to searching a browser.
> Basicly each and every firefox clone/fork/based browser has the same
> issues as firefox (100% disk i/o all the time even when idle), so
> those don't work.  webkit based browsers can't render half of the
> internet properly. i wonder if somone cloned chromiums webkit thing
> and made a brwoser of it?   uzbl is quite decent, i wish they'd use
> chromes rendering.
> opera would be awesome if it didn't have billions of popups and
> their "Upgrade to opera10" popup really made me uninstall opera.
>
> any options left?

With what you wrote above - no, no options.

It sounds like you dump software as soon as you encounter any annoyance.
Wouldn't it be wiser to workaround them, since annoyances (or small bugs)
are always part of everything? I guess writing a browser could teach one
to live with bugs...

I am sure you can disable those popups in opera (or stay with 9.64 for the
time being, if you like opera).

What kind of I/O activity do you see with Firefox? How do you measure it?
I don't see any problems on my side.

What sites were incorrectly rendered with webkit?

Also, there's dillo. Small and fast, but no CSS floats, no javascript.

--
--  Rogutės Sparnuotos