[arch-general] php not working - Was: Web_application_package_guidelines wiki page

David Houston root at crankyadmin.net
Mon Oct 5 11:30:15 EDT 2009

> :) You are right about Linux. Arch is the best for sure. And I tried
> already many linux distros. Didn't try them all of course, but many
> of them I did. Maybe Sabayon and Pardus are worth of try. Will see
> about that later.
> But what I didn't try yet is BSD. I mean for longer period of time,
> like few months or something.

If you want ultimate stability use NetBSD, wouldn't recommend it for a
desktop but as a Server goes its the balls! Man I got one thats been up for
over a 1000days! I think what I'm trying to say in a round about fashion is
this...

I think it is you rather than the distro... I upgrade loads of boxes
everyday that run Arch/FreeBSD/Solaris you name it! (Even a couple of
Windows 2003!) and never had a problem, ok maybe that small one we had a few
weeks ago but anybody that is tuned in has the News on the front of
archlinux.org on a RSS feed, so before it was even a problem I had the
solution. I really annoys me seeing people distro hop because Distro A, does
this and Distro B, does that when in practice if they would spend the time
reading, and learning about the various features of there chosen distro they
would be much happier.

There is to much of a mentality to hand hold.... you know the sort, Ubuntu,
Windows.... if you want that use them. Arch is DIY and most BSD's are as
well. As Arch takes alot from BSD.

/Rant over.....
--
Dave