[arch-general] enlightenment e-svn (e17) segfaults with standard setup, OK with minimalist (battery module)

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Tue Oct 20 13:05:10 EDT 2009

On Tuesday 20 October 2009 05:54:11 am Santhosh Joseph wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 2:26 PM, David C. Rankin
>
> <drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com> wrote:
> > Devs,
> >
> >        I don't know if I should bug this since it is a svn package, but
> > enlightenment (the e-svn package) segfaults and cannot recover if you
> > choose the standard setup. It goes through the initial setup screens OK,
> > but as soon as it tries to start, it segfaults and cannot be recovered.
>
> Hi David,
>
> I've been experimenting with E17(from the repo) + ecomorph (AUR) for
> the last couple of days, I've never had E17 segfault.   So, I doubt
> its e17 itself, sure e17 is still in development phase, but afaik, it
> doesn't crash as often as you say.
>
> Try creating a test user and login and see if it segfaults, also, try
> unloading some modules and enable one after the other to see if any
> particular module is causing this, some like bling has troubled me in
> the past.
>
> Cheers!
> Joseph

Joseph,

	I already did that. Like I mentioned, the problem is the "Battery" module on
my Toshiba 205d laptop. There is some fatal conflict when it is loaded,
enlightenment segfaults. Since the Battery module is loaded by default in the
"standard" install ... you get the picture.

	As mentioned, I did a "minimal" install and it worked fine. I added modules
one-by-one until I got to the battery module and then it segfaulted. I tried
it again with only the battery module selected to confirm.

	I don't know where to report the battery module problem. I suspect that's an
enlightenment issue.

	What I was amazed by is how refined and usable e17 was. The interface is
really cool for a reasonably light weight desktop. I think it will become my
new remote desktop for launching through vnc. The menu and shelf handling and
configuration is way beyond those of openbox, icewm and flux that I have been
using as my remote access DT.

	It will be fun figuring out what all I can do with it. First thing on the
agenda is to go find a replacement theme for the Black & White default. Very
well done theme, but not quite my taste.

	Let me know if there is anything else I need to do as far as reporting the
issue with Arch. If not, I'll just follow up with the enlightenment folks.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC