[arch-general] keyboard not working in Xorg after package updates

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Thu Apr 8 21:51:13 EDT 2010

On Wed, April 7, 2010 2:11 pm, Xavier Chantry wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 7:59 PM, David Rosenstrauch <darose at darose.net>
> wrote:
>>
>> Anybody have any ideas on this?  GUI is completely unusable on the
>> server
>> until I solve this!  :-(
>>
>> I really have zero idea what's going on.  And it's a difficult thing to
>> find
>> good specific search terms for, as there's been numerous problems with
>> xorg
>> and keyboards over the years that keep coming up in the search results.
>>

> Well I already suggested a workaround : find a way to use the keyboard
> driver
> It should be possible to create a xorg.conf to specify that. Or to
> edit the hal files, but that's already deprecated with 1.8
> Or maybe just removing evdev would work, I am not sure. But you would
> need mouse too.
>
> But in any cases, have a look at http://www.x.org/wiki/
> Reporting problems, asking questions and getting help

Still trying to get this working, and I'm getting really stumped.  Here's
what I'm seeing after a debugging session tonight:

* can't start an x session by logging into slim (since I have no keyboard)
* so I ssh in, and shut down slim
* I switch to qingy, which does let me log in (since I have keyboard
access when I'm in a console)
* qingy logs me into an x session (fluxbox), and again I have no keyboard
access.  Weirdly, however, the mouse works while in the x session.
(WTF?!?!?)
* I want to run xev to see if x is registering keyboard events.  But I
can't launch it since I can't type "xev" since I have no keyboard.  Fine.
So I ssh in, and launch "xev display :1".  Xev launches fine inside the x
session.  I do mouse clicks on the xev window, and also try pressing keys
on the keyboard.  AND XEV PICKS UP THE KEYBOARD EVENTS AND ECHOS THEM BACK
OUT TO THE SSH SESSION.  WTF?!?!?!?

Plus I also checked in hal-device, and it see the keyboard fine on
/dev/event1 (or whatever it's called).

So .... WTF?!?!?!?  Hal sees the keyboard.  And xev running inside the x
session sees the keyboard.  SO WHY ON EARTH IS MY KEYBOARD STILL DEAD IN
MY X SESSIONS?!?!?  ARRRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!!

Anyone have *any* ideas what's going on and/or how to fix?  I'm totally
stumped!

TIA,

DR