[arch-general] did my 4/10/10:pacman -Syu: destabilized e17's run command dialog??

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Sat Apr 17 22:17:17 EDT 2010

On 04/16/2010 04:12 PM, Joe(theWordy)Philbrook wrote:

> Actually, I'm not sure if this is thanks to E17 itself or specific to
> Arch... And it's no big deal anyway because:
>  A) e17 is "under heavy development", (And I know that means it's unstable)
>  B) I've already got a workaround that works for me...
> But I'd like to understand what happened a little better.

<snip>
> How can I a regular "Joe user", figure out if this is an actual E17 bug
> or if it's an Arch specific thing???

Joe,

	I'll have to check my E17 install on Arch, but I just got through going through
fits with E17 on suse. All of a sudden, E17 virtual desktop management and the
pager went nuts. If I opened an app on desktop 1 and then switched to desktop 2,
etc.. the open app was visible on on desktops. (like you had the window set as
sticky to show up on all desktops)

	Further, E17 would crash every time I tried to change shelf properties or
add/remove apps from ibar, etc.. The issues ended up being something in my ~/.e
directory. I hadn't changed any settings at all in E17 for quite some time, so
one of the E17 updates did something strange to the config that really screwed
E17 up. Wiping out my ~/.e directory and restarting with the default black &
white theme cured it. After the restart and forced rebuild of the default
configuration, I could reconfigure E17 exactly the way I had it before and it
worked just fine. If you haven't tried it, it might be worth a shot.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC