[arch-general] HAL dependencies

Laurie Clark-Michalek bluepeppers at archlinux.us
Sun Apr 18 15:27:43 CEST 2010

On Sunday 18 April 2010 12:05:00 Joerg Schilling wrote:
> Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org> wrote:
> > > Has anyone else stripped HAL completely out of their Arch
install?

> > Would be too nice, but it looks like KDE 4.5 won't be HAL-free
yet and
> > we'll have to wait for 4.6 - so I will keep HAL around for at least
half
> > a year.
>
> The important question is: by what will hal replaced?

UDev

> If it is replaced by similar software and if the design flaws in the
linux
> kernel that support problem with hal are not fixed, then I expect
basically
> the same problems as before (note that I am only speaking about
CD/DVD/BD
> recording related issues).

You can't take a single high level fault as a indication of a whole
software stacks uselessness. Hal works well for me - in that it does
what I want. UDev, which hal is build upon, has been around for
ages and works fine creating the device nodes for all your mounting
needs :) And anyway, if there is this major design flaw in the linux
kernel that stops you writing CDs and other media, you need to say
what it is, and why they should spend time, which is likely to be
considerable, due to the fact that architectural changes
implemented at the maintenance stage will always be the largest,
fixing a fault that annoys you, and I have never noticed...

--

Laurie Clark-Michalek