[arch-general] my intro

Sven-Hendrik Haase sh at lutzhaase.com
Sat Aug 7 22:20:12 EDT 2010

 On 08.08.2010 04:02, Jude DaShiell wrote:
> I install chris brannon's talking arch linux a little earlier this
> weekend.  It was not the first Linux I've installed either.  I use the
> talking version since I can't see anything at all.  For as small a
> Linux as this is it's impressive.  We need a foomatic-rip package
> though because my parallel printer probably won't work well otherwise
> and that makes it difficult for those helping me shop to read my
> grocery lists.  I have already built and got astrolog running on
> archlinux and for free accurate horoscopes that's a good choice.  I
> could probably package it for this Linux if there's enough interest.
> Another problem probably of interest to a larger audience is no
> command line spreadsheet programs are yet available.  I can probably
> put some things together for that too.  I'll definitely do that for
> myself and again if there's enough interest I can probably build
> something and make it available. I do use orca and gnome a little, but
> the graphical user environment isn't my normal living space while at
> home.  I'm required to use Windows at work so I figure while I'm at
> home I get to choose my operating systems and my operating system
> interfaces.  I don't want the two environments getting confused with
> each other.

Hey Jude,

foomatic-rip should be included in the foomatic-filters package.
astrolog is available in AUR
(http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=32863).

There are two tools I know of for CLI spreadsheets. sc and oleo. Both
have AUR packages available.

Nice to see Arch being used by blind users. Good job, Chris.

-- Sven-Hendrik