[arch-general] pacman seems to leak ftp connections

Alexander Duscheleit jinks at archlinux.us
Wed Aug 18 03:43:52 EDT 2010

On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 00:06:44 -0700
mike rosset <schizoid29 at gmail.com> wrote:

> > How would I best go about researching this? I have all the
> > components right here, and it's easy enough to trigger, but I have
> > no experience whatsoever in debugging libraries or C code in
> > general.
> >
> > I could try and set up a chroot to bisect pacman /
> > lib{fetch,archive,alpm} but I have no clue how good or bad random
> > pacman versions interact with the rest of the system.
>
> What I did to replicate this was create a chroot ie
>
> sudo mkdir -p archtest/var/lib/pacman
>
> and then test with a large group something like this
>
> sudo pacman -Sy gnome --cachedir
> $(pwd)/archtest/var/cache/pacman/pkg/ -r ./archtest/
>
> if you need to download again you can just purge  chroot cachedir.
> after that I'm not sure how best to debug libfetch possibly using
> netstat, lsof and strace?

After playing around i a throwaway-chroot, the problem seems to be
libfetch >=2.30. I just modified the PKGBUILD to different versions
(without replacing or rebuilding pacman at all).

Libfetch 2.26 fetches files without a problem, 2.30+ fails after
downloading 5 files while MaxInstances in proftpd is set to 8. If I set
MaxInstances to 3, downloading fails outright (also only for 2.30+), so
something there seems to consume 3 connections before actually
downloading something at all.

I'd try to break it down further, but NetBSDs CVS server isn't talking
to me at the moment.