[arch-general] EEE 1000H - control of Wifi device

kludge drkludge at rat-patrol.org
Wed Feb 17 18:40:44 EST 2010

On 02/17/2010 05:16 PM, fons at kokkinizita.net wrote:
> Today I discovered one possible problem.
>
> The key combination 'Fn + F2' enables or disables the
> wireless network device. If you hit it accidentally there's
> no more wifi.

that's expected behavior, as indicated by the 'wifi' icon in blue on the
'f2' key.

> No big deal for me, but the end users of this machine are
> less technically inclined. So I'm looking for either
>
> - a way to disable the action of this key combination
>  (while leaving the other F-keys intact), or

is it safe to presume you installed acpi-eeepc-generic?  because it has
a configuration file that let's you customize every key combination.

> - a way to re-enable the wireless device from a script.

ummm... did you try hitting fn+f2 again?  if that didn't work, file a
bug against big-gie's script package.

a more cutting question might be: why are you saddling end-users who
can't figure out the function keys with archlinux?  the ubuntu netbook
remix runs beautifully on the 1000h.

-kludge