[arch-general] EEE 1000H - control of Wifi device

fons at kokkinizita.net fons at kokkinizita.net
Wed Feb 17 19:03:00 EST 2010

On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 05:40:44PM -0600, kludge wrote:

> On 02/17/2010 05:16 PM, fons at kokkinizita.net wrote:
> > Today I discovered one possible problem.
> >
> > The key combination 'Fn + F2' enables or disables the
> > wireless network device. If you hit it accidentally there's
> > no more wifi.
>
> that's expected behavior, as indicated by the 'wifi' icon in blue on the
> 'f2' key.

Yes.

> > No big deal for me, but the end users of this machine are
> > less technically inclined. So I'm looking for either
> >
> > - a way to disable the action of this key combination
> >  (while leaving the other F-keys intact), or
>
> is it safe to presume you installed acpi-eeepc-generic?  because it has
> a configuration file that let's you customize every key combination.

If that is a package name, no. Everything seems to work
without it, including e.g. the display brightness keys.
This is a 1000H which apparently needs less specific
support.

> > - a way to re-enable the wireless device from a script.
>
> ummm... did you try hitting fn+f2 again?  if that didn't work, file a
> bug against big-gie's script package.

You've been reading too fast :-) As I wrote, hitting Fn+F2
again and then restarting the profile works. I just don't
expect my end users to remember that.

They get Arch because it enables me to deliver exacly
what is required, which turned out to be very problematic
with the more bloated distros.

All they do is to click some desktop icons, one of them
to select the wireless network. It calls a script using
netcfg. What I'd want to do is to make that script enable
the wireless device as well, if it was disabled. Or make
sure it never get disabled.

Ciao,

--
FA