[arch-general] CUPS

Jeroen Op 't Eynde jeroen at xprsyrslf.be
Sat Jan 9 09:08:43 EST 2010

> On Sat, Jan 9, 2010 at 8:43 PM, Jeroen Op 't Eynde
> <jeroen at xprsyrslf.be>wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 09 Jan 2010 08:43:03 +0100, Weiwei Wang <ww.wang.cs at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>  I read the wiki guide and do as what is told. However, I always
>>> receive this messge:
>>> Connection failed: NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME
>>>
>>> DeviceURI smb://elegate:jessica@172.16.65.79/print$/
>>>
>>> And I checked that the printer in the windows system is share with the
>>> name
>>> hpLaserJ, however when I connect it with smbclient //
>>> 172.16.65.79/hpLaserJ,
>>> i receive NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
>>>

>> Use smbtree to view your shares so you get a proper address.
>>
>> 'smbtree -N' to see if you can access it without password.
>> 'smbrree --user=USERNAME' to use your preferred username
>>

>>  cups and samba are both definitely running.
>>>

>> You don't need to run smbd too access the shares, at least I don't have
>> too.
>>

> On Sat, 09 Jan 2010 14:17:03 +0100, Weiwei Wang <ww.wang.cs at gmail.com>
> wrote:

> I typed smbtree -1 and was asked to type the password.
>
> After typing the password, I get result like this:
> MSHOME
>     \\ZHANGYB                zhangyb
>     \\WWW-PC
>         \\WWW-PC\C$                 默认共享
>         \\WWW-PC\ftp (I)
>         \\WWW-PC\H$                 默认共享
>         \\WWW-PC\ADMIN$             远程管理
>         \\WWW-PC\F$                 默认共享
>         \\WWW-PC\hpLaserJ           hp LaserJet 1010
>         \\WWW-PC\G$                 默认共享
>         \\WWW-PC\I$                 默认共享
>         \\WWW-PC\print$             打印机驱动程序
>         \\WWW-PC\D$                 默认共享
>         \\WWW-PC\IPC$               远程 IPC
>         \\WWW-PC\E$                 默认共享
> where WWW-PC is the windows system where our printer is shared.
>
> what should I do to modify the cups configuration to make it work?

First, don't top-post, it obfuscates reading.

The printer is shared with \\WWW-PC\hpLaserJ (not \\WWW-PC\print$, that is
a directory that shares the drivers for windows hosts)
Go to http://localhost:631/ and add the printer with 'Windows Printer via
SAMBA'. The address should be 'smb://WWW-PC/hpLaserJ'. If that works, you
don't have to enter any password, otherwise use
'smb://username:password@WWW-PC/hpLaserJ'.

--
Jeroen Op 't Eynde
jeroen at xprsyrslf.be