[arch-general] dark themes (was 2 Killer kde4 dark themes - DR you listening??) [Part Solved]

Edgar Kalkowski eMail at edgar-kalkowski.de
Wed Jan 20 22:30:49 EST 2010

Am oder ungefähr am Mittwoch, 20. Januar 2010, schrieb David C. Rankin:
> On 01/19/2010 01:37 PM, Arvid Picciani wrote:
>
> I stumbled into a part solution to the problem for firefox and other mozilla apps. Basically there is a new type of "skin" you can use called user space skins that use the 'stylish' addon that allows for the easy changing of the titlebar (and all other aspects) of the browser window.

I also use a dark style sometimes, especially if I work at night. ;)

I found that using QtCurve it is quite easy to make all Qt and Gtk applications look nice and dark. For firefox I baked my own little darkening style which may be used with the Stylish addon (see below). It is not very fancy but makes most sites look quite similar to the "original" white look. My first problem is with sites like google.com who use an image with a hardcoded white background. I cannot get that away.

The second problem is with Java applications as they do not respect the colour settings of the window manager by default. However you can

$ echo 'swing.defaultlaf=com.sun.java.swing.plaf.gtk.GTKLookAndFeel' > /opt/java/jre/lib/swing.properties

which should make all Java applications use Gtk as their default look and feel (and thus respect the Gtk colour settings).

Best greetings!

Edgar

<snip>

html {