[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] dropping flashplugin x86_64

Caleb Cushing xenoterracide at gmail.com
Thu Jun 17 17:50:10 EDT 2010

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 5:40 PM, Heiko Baums <lists at baums-on-web.de> wrote:
> You probably misunderstand something. HTML5 is the new HTML version,
> the language in which websites (Youtube e.g.) are written, the language
> which provides the <video> tag. WebM is the codec of the videos like
> MPEG, Ogg/Theora, etc.

no I understand it perfectly and have been playing with the youtube
beta. and that link I got was from #chromium-support maybe you don't
understand? that link has a webm video. I enabled js and plugins on
that page to be sure... and the video doesn't play. It's greyed out.
so unless you tell me that one works we don't.

from http://www.youtube.com/html5

* The HTML5 player has a badge in the control bar. If you don't see
the "HTML5" icon in the control bar, you've been directed to the Flash
player (due to restrictions listed below)
*The HTML5 player also has a badge to indicate the video is using the
WebM format. If you don't see the "WebM" icon, the video is encoded
using h.264

so according to that you should see HTML5 WebM. Do you? I see HTML5
but no WebM which means it's using h.264. even if you append the
&webm=1 which I suspect means youtube is smart  and knows to fall
back.

--
Caleb Cushing

http://xenoterracide.blogspot.com