[arch-general] Bad attitude in flyspray again!

Heiko Baums lists at baums-on-web.de
Fri Mar 12 20:17:58 CET 2010

Am Fri, 12 Mar 2010 09:34:01 -0600
schrieb Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com>:

> Commenting on closed bugs is not doable in Flyspray.

Commenting on closed bugs isn't necessary. This is a matter of taste.
Some bug trackers allow this, some not.

> More-over, I think it is a bad idea. The only reason people want
> commenting on closed bugs is so that they can argue with the
> developers - give reasons why the bug shouldn't be closed. That's what
> a reopen request is for. If that fails, then it's time to discuss it
> directly with the developer in question

And that's the problem. Bugs shouldn't be closed at once. Usually such
discussions should be done in the comments of a bug report not directly
with the developer. And closing a bug without giving the reporter the
chance to give reasons why the bug shouldn't be closed can seem really
arrogant and ignorant as it was in my case. And this can happen due to
a simple mistake as it was in my case.

The reopening request and its comment is not a solution, because the
user is forced to begging.

This is why I opened this thread.

Commenting on closed bugs don't need to be implemented, but the
reporter must be given the chance to answer without having to beg.

The best solution in my sight is that the developer first writes a
normal comment that he can't reproduce it and ask for more details.
Probably the developer can tell the reporter which information he
needs. This should be done without closing the bug.

If the reporter doesn't answer in a reasonable time, or the reporter
confirms that the bug is invalid or there are other reasons for closing
this bug the bug can still be closed. If the developer closes a bug he
should first give the reason for closing the bug in a normal comment.

This is where Ng Oon-Ee's suggestion comes into play to make it a bit
easier for the developer, if this is possible with flyspray:
"I guess it would be good for a simple system where if a bug cannot be
reproduced its marked/commented as 'cannot reproduce, please provide
proof/details' and placed on a 7-day (arbitrary number) wait, where no
more comments would automatically close the bug."

But just closing a bug should not be done. There's usually a reason why
a bug is reported even if it's invalid.

Greetings,
Heiko