[arch-general] new pc; keep arch installation?

Kevin Monceaux Kevin at RawFedDogs.net
Tue May 25 13:24:59 EDT 2010

On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 11:13:00AM -0300, Rafael Beraldo wrote:

> What nice ideas to prevent new installations...! I didn't know that it was
> that easy to transfer a installation among different hardware.

It's one of the many reasons I love Linux.  I do a bit of distro hopping.
I'm running OpenSuSE this week.  Well, I've been running it for a while now.
When I went to switch to it I had all my drive space lumped together under
an LVM root partition.  OpenSuSE's installer wasn't flexible enough to let
me install to my existing LVM root partition without reformatting it.  Or,
maybe I just couldn't figure out how to get the installer to do what I
wanted to do.  Anyway, installed OpenSuSE under Virtualbox, tar'd up the
installation, booted with a Gentoo CD, mounted my root LVM partition, moved
my old distro, Slackware, out of the way, and untar'd the OpenSuSE install.
With a few minor configuration tweaks and a Grub install I was up and
running.  Those drives have since been transplanted into a "new" used PC.

I've been thinking of Arch recently and at the moment have a "chroot
install" in progress.  To make things more interesting I didn't want to
install pacman directly on my OpenSuSE box so I created a Gentoo chroot
environment, installed pacman via the ebuild in Gentoo's portage, and am
using that to create an Arch chroot environment.  Try that with Windoze.
:-)

--

Kevin
http://www.RawFedDogs.net

What's the definition of a legacy system?  One that works!
Errare humanum est, ignoscere caninum.