[arch-general] Network problem (router/gateway)

Vincent Van Houtte vvh at synergylaw.be
Mon May 31 05:16:02 EDT 2010

Hi,

Thank you for your quick reply!

> 1)
>
> $ ping -c 5 google.com
> $ ping -c 5 8.8.8.8
> see if you get a response

Yep: works flawlessly. 0% packetloss and the timings are normal (~14ms)

> 2) now try and initiate a connection manually
>
> $ telnet google.com 80

Works. after several minutes the connection is terminated automatically
(I was on the phone), but that is to be expected I guess.

> For troubleshooting,
> * Trying Disabling Iptables and see if that solves the problem
> $ /etc/rc.d/iptables stop

That is something I have not yet done. Last time I did this, I
interpreted the flush-flag wrong and made all connections to the server
impossible. Anyway, this is the output of iptables -L:

(client)
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

(server)
Chain INPUT (policy DROP)
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            state
RELATED,ESTABLISHED
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere            state
RELATED,ESTABLISHED
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere
REJECT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp
dpt:auth reject-with icmp-port-unreachable
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere            udp
dpts:bootps:bootpc
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp
dpt:domain
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere            udp
dpt:domain
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             BASE-ADDRESS.MCAST.NET/8
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere            udp
dpt:kerberos
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp
dpt:imaps
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp
dpt:2222
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp
dpt:postgresql
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp
dpt:xmpp-client
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp
dpt:5223
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp
dpt:xmpp-server
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp
dpt:5280
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp
dpt:openvpn
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp
dpt:9443
DROP       tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp
dpt:www
icmp-input  icmp --  anywhere             anywhere
DROP       tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            state
INVALID,NEW
DROP       udp  --  anywhere             anywhere            state
INVALID,NEW
LOG        all  --  anywhere             anywhere            LOG level
warning

Chain FORWARD (policy DROP)
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            state
RELATED,ESTABLISHED
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere            state
RELATED,ESTABLISHED
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere
icmp-input  icmp --  anywhere             anywhere
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp
dpt:ssh
DROP       udp  --  anywhere             anywhere            state
INVALID,NEW

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Chain icmp-input (2 references)
ACCEPT     icmp --  anywhere             anywhere            icmp
time-exceeded
ACCEPT     icmp --  anywhere             anywhere            icmp
destination-unreachable
ACCEPT     icmp --  anywhere             anywhere            icmp
echo-reply
ACCEPT     icmp --  anywhere             anywhere            icmp
echo-request
DROP       all  --  anywhere             anywhere

> also check if your routing table is configured correctly
> $ route -n

# route -n
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use
Iface
192.168.0.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0
eth0
0.0.0.0         192.168.0.1     0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0
eth0

I don't know how to interpret this. '192.168.0.0' seems wrong. I think
it should be '192.168.0.1', which is the IP-address of the server.

> And lastly, see if the network interface has been correctly assigned
> IP address, netmark and gateway
> $ ifconfig -a

# ifconfig -a
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:23:54:25:1d:b2
          inet addr:192.168.0.22  Bcast:192.168.0.255
Mask:255.255.255.0
          inet6 addr: fe80::223:54ff:fe25:1db2/64 Scope:Link
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:6389750913 (5.9 GiB)  TX bytes:279160373 (266.2 MiB)
          Interrupt:26 Base address:0xc000

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:845358 (825.5 KiB)  TX bytes:845358 (825.5 KiB)

Hmmm... IIRC We had a network-problem several years ago and the solution
was to restrict IP to IPv4. Could this be it?

THX,
Vincent
--
Advocatenkantoor Suy, Van Baeveghem & Van Houtte
Brusselsestraat 108