[arch-general] python3 thoughts

Isaac Dupree ml at isaac.cedarswampstudios.org
Fri Nov 12 08:11:56 CET 2010

On 11/12/10 01:51, Auguste Pop wrote:
> I hope python3 won't die this way, so that all the previous efforts in
> transition to python3 will not go in vain. Maybe we just took the
> transitional leap too early when nobody is ready except us.

As you note, "nobody is ready except us" -- we are ready -- the pain is
not very much.  On the flip side, the little pain that we do feel is a
really valuable offering to the other more conservative distros: they
get to see how it was for us and what the biggest pain points are in
practice.

You're also (I think?) making a good point that, at least where upstream
projects written in python can run on python3, we as packagers should
proactively package them to do so.  We should be conscious if we're
letting them languish in the doldrums of 2-ness untended.

-Isaac