[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] [signoff] initscripts-2011.04.1-2

Oon-Ee Ng ngoonee.talk at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 21:38:51 EDT 2011

On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 9:19 AM, Heiko Baums <lists at baums-on-web.de> wrote:
> Am Fri, 29 Apr 2011 09:01:23 +0800
> schrieb Oon-Ee Ng <ngoonee.talk at gmail.com>:
>
>> I was under the impression that windows versions from Windows XP
>> onwards had a registry key which enabled them to use UTC time.
>
> Well, I'm not using Windows anymore for many years. So I can be
> wrong, but I didn't know such a registry key, yet.
>
> Now I found one blog and one forum which point to such a registry key,
> but you still have to use a registry editor or tweaker on Windows. So
> it's not a common option in Windows, and I guess it's pretty unknown.
> I'd suggest to better assume that Windows users usual have their
> hardware clock set to localtime.

Conversely, perhaps we can assume that Windows users who are able to
install Arch Linux (and dual-boot, no less) are able to edit a
registry key =).

I have two dual-boot systems, I use UTC on one and localtime on the
other, based on what was convenient at the time. If there's bugs with
localtime switching to UTC isn't hard, and is probably easier than
fixing bugs for an easily-worked-around issue.