[arch-general] Writing my mother tongue in LibreOffice.

Ray Rashif schiv at archlinux.org
Wed Aug 10 09:22:48 EDT 2011

On 10 August 2011 19:44, Madhurya Kakati <mkakati2805 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I was quite surprised to see a language pack for LibreOffice for my
> mother tongue in the extra repo(libreoffice-as). I was wondering as to
> how to write it? Do I need to buy a special keyboard or will this
> qwerty keyboard work?
> Thanks

I'm not quite sure about the differences but you can:

1. Change your keyboard layout to your language (in KDE/GNOME settings
or other tools)
2. Use ibus-m17n (ibus is a new input system)
3. Use scim-m17n (scim is sort of an older input system)

I've personally set up ibus for Hindi, Bengali and Mandarin for
friends and family on Ubuntu. This was a two-step process, first
adding languages to the system, and then adding layouts to ibus using
the gtk tool. CTRL+SPACE changed between layouts or ON/OFF. There was
an option to change the entire OS to your language, so even your
folders are renamed.

However, ibus/scim offers the flexibility to use an English keyboard
and a primary English computing environment, but toggling the input
system for say when you have an editor running would allow you to
switch between multiple languages and keyboard types of those
languages. There is also phonetic support in some of those, where you
type in English the way your word is pronounced and it will
auto-transliterate. On the other hand, I think, (1) is a bilingual
approach only.

--
GPG/PGP ID: 8AADBB10