[arch-general] Ethernet stopped working after update

dmbuce at gmail.com dmbuce at gmail.com
Sun Jun 26 15:05:12 EDT 2011

My card:

# lspci | grep -i ethernet
Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI
Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 03)

After doing pacman -Syu, ethernet on my desktop stopped working. The
card on my laptop is the same, at least according to lspci, and is
working fine.

When I upgraded, there was a change in syntax in rc.conf for defining
the network, but I'm just attempting dhcp for now before I try to set up
a static ip:

interface=eth0
address=
netmask=
gateway=

I've tried resetting the router and switching from the kernel's r8169
driver to the r8168 driver from the aur. I compiled the aur driver on my
laptop and transferred to the desktop on usb -- as long as they're both
x86_64, this shouldn't be a problem, right?

Regardless of my choice of driver, ethernet on the laptop works fine,
and doesn't work at all on the desktop. If I set up ethernet manually
using ifconfig to define the address/netmask/broadcast/etc (making sure
the routes are correct), everything appears to work fine until I try to
ping the router and get "Destination Host Unreachable".

And the kicker is that the light on the router for the port I have my
ethernet cable plugged into will light up for the laptop, but not the
desktop. Given this and the other behavior, I'm inclined to think it's a
hardware issue, but this hardware is only several months old, and having
this happen right after an upgrade seems unlikely to be a coincidence.
Anything else I can try short of reinstalling or getting a replacement
from the manufacturer?