[arch-general] New Kernel - Virtualbox VM kernel crash on shutdown

C Anthony Risinger anthony at extof.me
Tue Mar 29 13:26:41 EDT 2011

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 10:38 AM, Aljosha Papsch <joschi.papsch at yahoo.de> wrote:
> David C. Rankin wrote:
>
>>Guys,
>

>>  kernel26-2.6.37.5-1 running in a virtualbox vm is causing a kernel crash on
>>shutdown. The full screen of the crash is here:
>>
>> http://www.3111skyline.com/dl/arch/bugs/kernel/vbox-crash-on-shutdown.jpg
>>
>> The Call Trace: shows the likes of:
>>
>> shrink_dcache_for_unmount_subtree
>> shrink_dcache_for_unmount
>> generic_shutdown_super
>> <snip>
>>
>>  I'm not great at reading the screens, so if you are interested in the full
>>error, it is shown in the link about.
>>
>>  Has anyone else found a workaround?
>>
>> -- David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
>
> Are you sure it's a kernel bug? Your screen says segmentation fault in umount,
> so there must be some bug in that tool, not linux. Also, if the kernel panicks,
> the system won't shutdown at all.
> BTW, I recommend using png files instead of jpg. :)

doesn't vbox have to be rebuilt everytime the kernel changes or
something?  or the guest additions?  or both?

btw, have you tried KVM + libvirt[virtmanager/<insert one of several
good webapps>]?  there are a lot of great options out there now -- i
haven't had a single issue with my local KVM setup, and am in the
process of moving my companies infrastructure to it as well (+ some
LXC goodness) ... when i used vbox it was nice, but ... yeah :-)

... libvirt can handle vbox images in transition, too; just an idea,
it's been good to me.

C Anthony