[arch-general] OT: [arch-dev-public] polkit package upgrade patch

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Fri Aug 10 21:02:03 EDT 2012

On Sat, Aug 11, 2012 at 2:01 AM, Heiko Baums <lists at baums-on-web.de> wrote:
> I have the impression that you are one of those systemd fanboys, and
> just don't want to hear that systemd and PA have a lot of serious
> issues.

Issues, serious or otherwise, belong in the bug-tracker. We have
surprisingly few systemd/pulseaudio bugs open, considering all the
noise they create on the ML.

>> Why don't you just delete the things you don't want?
>
> Why are those things, which I don't need and want, installed? Why
> am I forced to have this systemd stuff installed? And what, if I delete
> them manually? Shall I always delete them again and again after every
> system update? Sorry, that's not the way to go.

Sorry, I didn't realise you were being serious. Of course you
shouldn't delete them. If you don't use systemd they have no effect,
and take hardly no space.

> Like I said before, if you would support systemd, sytemd-tools and
> everything else related to systemd totally optional, and keep
> initscripts pure initscripts without any systemd stuff like it was
> before, I would say nothing. But since you really force the users to
> install this systemd stuff, you will have to live with such comments,
> and not only from me, as you should know.

I don't force anyone to do anything. If you see flaws in anything I
do, then provide review, patches or bug reports. If you don't like the
direction I'm taking initscripts in, then fork it and provide your
competing version.

To be clear: it has always been my plan to make initscripts and
systemd as close to each other as possible and share as much code as
possible. I strongly believe this is the right thing to do. If you
disagree, then I think your time is better spent at coding a
replacement rather than at whining.

-t