[arch-general] Personal note

phani listmail at phanisvara.com
Thu Aug 16 00:10:59 EDT 2012

On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 23:28:49 +0530, Aurko Roy <roy.aurko at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry to see you go. Although I don't post much here I do read and
> appreciate your prompt and very informative responses to the various
> issues that are on arch-general. If this is because of the recent
> flame-wars over systemd, couldn't you just ignore (filter out) those
> messages and concentrate on real, technical issues that are
> (occasionally) posted here?

perhaps that's asking too much from those who already dedicate a large
part of their time to maintain & develop this distro.

this seems to be a universal problem: either you have an open mailing
list, allowing newcomers and outsiders easy (write-) access, or you
moderate, improving the signal-to-noise ratio, but stiffling the
discussion and creating new problems, i.e., policies and their
implementation will lead to their own flame wars.

somewhere the creation of a new mailing list was proposed, but as i've
seen at openSUSE, this creates another set of problems: fragmentation. in
many cases it isn't clear which would be the appropriate list, resulting
in cross-posting, and the need to subscribe to another bunch of lists just
to stay informed.

in this case, arch general becoming too noisy, i would suggest a different
solution:

create another (non-public) mailing list only for devs/maintainers, to
which some old hands from arch general forward everything that's relevant,
but keep the noise and newbee questions out.

the filtering process and that new list shouldn't be public, avoiding
endless discussions. fine-tuning of what to forward and what not could
easily be dealt with by those 'old hands' and the devs in private.

this way the developers wouldn't be cut off from all the feedback, and i'm
pretty sure there's a few old archers around who wouldn't mind the extra
effort. i would volunteer for that, but i'm very new to arch linux and
this mailing list, having come from openSUSE a few months ago.

> Thank you for your contributions.

+1

thanks a lot for this great distro!

--