[arch-general] SystemD poll

Anthony ''Ishpeck'' Tedjamulia archlinux at ishpeck.net
Sat Aug 25 07:56:32 EDT 2012

On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 11:24:31PM -0500, C Anthony Risinger wrote:
> ... are we done? you guys are really boring me to death here --
> interest level is pitifully low. yawn.

Pretty long message for someone who's uninterested.

> if you want to see a boot up process that uses daemontools, or runit,
> or monit or {insert-here} ... then get on it chief! alas, i expect
> there are good reasons said tools were never used as such.

I have to assume, since you mentioned daemontools, that you're
talking to me (since I don't recall anybody else bringing it up).

I use daemontools for all my daemon management right now.

Seems to me the main reason not to use it is because a distro already
ships with its own startup system -- and most people don't care to
tear it all down when they just wanna get apache serving out PHP.

> let's cut to the chase here: there is no reason to get all bent out of
> shape ...

I'm not.  Just trying to weigh the priorities of the community.  It's
obvious now that Modernity is more important than Code Correctness
here and that's cool with me.

> so buck up, do something useful, or find
> another outlet ... puh-puh-please?

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking for here.

When I have "time" I do tinker with making daemontools more
accessible.  If I ever get it polished to the point of making
a package out of it, I may submit it to the AUR --  If there
is sufficient interest -- which, I can only discover by getting
the idea in peoples' heads and weighing their reaction.

I'm uncertain as to what other "outlet" one can have when
their primary concern is to advocate a philosophy and
technology to the community that's most likely to receive
it, according to this:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/The_Arch_Way

Now, of course, these words mean different things to different
people.  And any credo must inevitably bow to practical demands
(this is why I continue to state that Arch dev probably has no
choice but to accept systemd as the default, eventually) but a
little bit of disruptive behavior is necessary if any innovation
is to take place.

Sorry if this bothers you.