[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] merging systemd back to a singular package

Lukas Jirkovsky l.jirkovsky at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 04:54:43 EDT 2012

On 27 August 2012 18:16, Tom Gundersen <teg at jklm.no> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 5:21 PM, Lukas Jirkovsky <l.jirkovsky at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I can help (or at least try to) with support for initscripts
>
> Anyone who wants to help, please join arch-projects at archlinux.org,
> review patches, use initscripts from git/testing and report problems.
>> if it's
>> going to be a burden for you some day in the future.
>
> As has been mentioned, the problems I foresee are (ordered from
> "currently a problem" to "a potential problem a long time from now":
>
> 1) not enough people testing initscripts. This would be easy to help
> out with :-)

For some reason I always find problems after some time when
initscripts are already in core.

> 2) third-party software (such as gnome/polkit/...) getting hard
> dependencies on booting with systemd (essentially everything that now
> depends on consolekit, and maybe more). If you don't use the affected
> software this does not matter, if you do it is not really easy to work
> around.

I'm pretty sure at least Ubuntu will keep patches to make some of such
apps work without systemd. I can maintain these in community if that
time comes. But I can care about KDE only, making GNOME work without
systemd would be a too difficult (I don't use it and they are much
more likely to require systemd than KDE). Fortunately KDE currently
uses only one library (polkit) that is likely to switch to systemd in
near future.

Lukas