[arch-general] crypttab support for non-root devices with systemd

Dave Reisner d at falconindy.com
Sat Dec 8 16:06:42 EST 2012

On Sat, Dec 08, 2012 at 09:52:34PM +0100, Karol Babioch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am 08.12.2012 21:21, schrieb Dave Reisner:
> > In core/lvm2 there's an lvm-on-crypt.service which you can enable. In
> > testing/lvm2, you only need lvm-monitoring.service.
>
> Thanks for your reply. Although probably both of these service files
> would require the device to the unlocked.

No, only one is required, based on the package you're using. We've made
some significant changes to lvm explicitly to make it play better with
systemd:

https://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2012-October/023953.html

> Currently its failing at this stage already. From my understanding
> /etc/crypttab should work with systemd just fine, shouldn't it?

And it does...

> So probably my crypttab is invalid?  Because right now I'm getting
> asked for the passphrase on each and every boot.

Without posting it, I have no idea. You've not mentioned the behavior
you expect, either. 'man 5 crypttab' documents the expected format and
allowed parameters.

> Any plans on when the "lvm-monitoring.service" will be released? Is it
> in the early development, or is this something just waiting to be released?

I don't know what's holding lvm in testing. This singular service is not
the silver bullet you're looking for -- it's a package deal.