[arch-general] Newbies in Arch [WAS: Suspend seems not to work with nVidia Nouveau driver]

Oon-Ee Ng ngoonee.talk at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 22:21:38 EST 2012

On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 10:58 AM, Jonathan Vasquez
<jvasquez1011 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been doing things to attract users to Arch. Whether they are
> newbs or not, because I want people to learn. As long as you have
> willingness and determination to learn, that is the important thing.
> The resources are out there, people just need to look, and I'm willing
> to add to those resources.
>
> You aren't adding anything beneficial by telling others that their
> comments are equal to troll statements, when this is clearly not true.

Attracting users to Arch is not a stated goal, this has been repeated
many times in various fora. Arch is only for a certain type of users,
those who are willing and able to learn.

I'm not knocking your effort, but a quick glance at those resources
you've provided indicate that you're trying to make it very easy to
get to using Arch, and I don't think that's beneficial for Arch or its
community. There are other distributions for 'easy-to-use', Arch
should not be that. Not because of any type of elitism, but because
Arch's niche is about control and simplicity, and making it
'newbie-friendly' (whatever that means) would compromise that.

Splitting the thread (sorry I use gmail, so it won't split for you
guys on mutt or whatever) to reduce the 'corruption' of original
thread, not that I think it'll make a difference though.