[arch-general] Newbies in Arch [WAS: Suspend seems not to work with nVidia Nouveau driver]

Jonathan Vasquez jvasquez1011 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 22:25:27 EST 2012

On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 10:21 PM, Oon-Ee Ng <ngoonee.talk at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 10:58 AM, Jonathan Vasquez
> <jvasquez1011 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I've been doing things to attract users to Arch. Whether they are
>> newbs or not, because I want people to learn. As long as you have
>> willingness and determination to learn, that is the important thing.
>> The resources are out there, people just need to look, and I'm willing
>> to add to those resources.
>>
>> You aren't adding anything beneficial by telling others that their
>> comments are equal to troll statements, when this is clearly not true.
>
> Attracting users to Arch is not a stated goal, this has been repeated
> many times in various fora. Arch is only for a certain type of users,
> those who are willing and able to learn.
>
> I'm not knocking your effort, but a quick glance at those resources
> you've provided indicate that you're trying to make it very easy to
> get to using Arch, and I don't think that's beneficial for Arch or its
> community. There are other distributions for 'easy-to-use', Arch
> should not be that. Not because of any type of elitism, but because
> Arch's niche is about control and simplicity, and making it
> 'newbie-friendly' (whatever that means) would compromise that.
>
> Splitting the thread (sorry I use gmail, so it won't split for you
> guys on mutt or whatever) to reduce the 'corruption' of original
> thread, not that I think it'll make a difference though.

You are misunderstanding my goals and what I've said.

I said that I'm trying to help people find and use Arch. Whether they
are expert users from other distros, or they are Noobies who are
"willing to read documentation". If a person is a noob, that doesn't
mean that they can't use Arch, they just have to be motivated
individuals who are willing to seek and learn for themselves. I am
facilitating resources, documentations, etc, to lower the barrier to
entry, while at the same time giving information that is in the
documentation, in a video form.

So we completely agree, the point of Arch, and us, isn't to just go
around and find noobies that don't want to learn for themselves but
want others to do the work for them, but to find people that are
willing to learn, seek for themselves, and contribute back to the
community. This does not segregate "Noobs who want others to do things
for them", "Noobs who are willing to be independent and learn for
themselves", and "Expert users from other Distros who want to learn
how to use Arch".

--
Jonathan Vasquez