[arch-general] UEFI secure boot

Heiko Baums lists at baums-on-web.de
Mon Jun 4 18:24:51 EDT 2012

Am Mon, 4 Jun 2012 22:44:31 +0200
schrieb Alexandre Ferrando <alferpal at gmail.com>:

> Arch doesn't seems to have the same kind of user than fedora, Arch if
> I don't remember it wrong, tends to be aimed for a competent user.
> Such a competent user can disable secure boot in x86 devices. (ARM
> devices doesn't seem a problem to Arch because  we don't do ARM)

Well, there is an ARM port of Arch Linux even if it's unofficial and
unsupported.

But as far as I know UEFI secure boot only needs to be activated and
must not be deactivated, if ARM computers are shipped with Windoze,
because this is only written in an M$ policy and not in a law.

So principally it shouldn't be a problem for hardware manufacturers to
assemble ARM computers without UEFI secure boot or with a UEFI secure
boot which can be disabled, if they either preinstall Linux, Android or
just ship it without Windoze resp. any OS.

If there will be such hardware manufacturers is another question. But
I'm not too pessimistic if I think of the Raspberry Pi e.g.

Heiko