[arch-general] problem with pulseaudio when resuming from pm-suspend

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Fri Mar 9 06:45:50 EST 2012

On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 10:27 AM, XeCycle <xecycle at gmail.com> wrote:
> I use pulseaudio on my laptop.  I start it by
> `start-pulseaudio-x11` in something like .xinitrc (I use a
> standalone wm with lxdm).  When I resume from pm-suspend, the
> system beeper issues several beeps; when I open a urxvt, a bash
> completion failure will issue a beep too.  However when any
> program that talks to pulseaudio starts (or try again to talk to
> it), e.g. start pavucontrol, everything is normal again.

My guess is that what happens is that pulseaudio blocks the sound
device, and that's the reason you don't hear the beep when it is
running (i.e. when sounds play). Disabling PA as Ralf suggests would
in this case not help at all, and likely just make it worse (I wish
people would stop suggesting to disable PA regardless of what the
problem is, in most cases this is not going to make things easier).

If I understand correctly your underlying problem can be solved by
blacklisting the pcspkr module, that should make sure the kernel will
no longer beep.

Cheers,

Tom