[arch-general] wodim unuseable

Joerg Schilling Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Tue Mar 20 07:01:08 EDT 2012

Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org> wrote:

> That reminds me, I was going to re-add cdrtools to the repositories, but
> I forgot, because I never write CDs or DVDs anyway (and when I do, it
> works with what I have installed right now).

If you rarely use it and if you only use very basic functionality, you may not
run into problems that are visible to you ... if you are lucky.

genisoimage creates nearly all ISO images with defects that may hit you in the
future.

genisoimage misses many important features needed for DVDs and BluRays

wodim does not write BluRay at all and writing DVDs only works on a few cases.

BTW: Linux-2.2 may also still work - do you really like to use it today?
Wodim is code from 2004, it misses half of the development efforts seen in the
original software.

Jörg