[arch-general] wodim unuseable

gt static.vortex at gmx.com
Tue Mar 20 07:47:48 EDT 2012

On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 12:01:08PM +0100, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org> wrote:
>
> > That reminds me, I was going to re-add cdrtools to the repositories, but
> > I forgot, because I never write CDs or DVDs anyway (and when I do, it
> > works with what I have installed right now).
>
> If you rarely use it and if you only use very basic functionality, you may not
> run into problems that are visible to you ... if you are lucky.
>
> genisoimage creates nearly all ISO images with defects that may hit you in the
> future.
>
> genisoimage misses many important features needed for DVDs and BluRays
>
> wodim does not write BluRay at all and writing DVDs only works on a few cases.
>
> BTW: Linux-2.2 may also still work - do you really like to use it today?
> Wodim is code from 2004, it misses half of the development efforts seen in the
> original software.

I know that growisofs uses mkisofs, but didn't know that the present
version is 4+ years old.

Anyway, i just removed dvd+rw-tools, and k3b whines about not finding
growisofs in the PATH. What should i do?

Joerg, out of curiosity, do you use the commandline version of your
baby, or some frontend?

@ Thomas, it would be great to have cdrtools in the repositories.