[arch-general] does makechrootpkg -I handle provides() replaces() ?

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Thu Mar 22 18:44:45 EDT 2012

On 03/22/2012 03:20 PM, Allan McRae wrote:
> provides/replaces/conflicts usually come in a set.

Hmm.. I thought provides-conflicts were mutually exclusive for the same package
name. I have tried all the variations of:

package_tde-sip() {
  pkgdesc="The TDE SIP C/C++ Bindings Generator for Python3 - Trinity upstream
GIT version"
  depends=('python')
  provides=('sip' 'python-sip')
  replaces=('sip' 'python-sip')
  conflicts=('sip')

  python-sip isn't installed, sip is the problem. Trying the conficts=('sip'), I
get a fatal conflict error that can't be satisfied. I thought that was due to
trying to provide 'sip' while saying 'sip' conflicted.

  The man page isn't explicit here and the wiki added a bit of confusion with
[conflicts] "An array of package names that may cause problems with this package
if installed. Package with this name and all packages which provides virtual
packages with this name will be removed"

  This is where I got the idea that you can't 'provides=('foo') at the same time
you conflicts=('foo').  Foo got it :)

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.