[arch-general] Lock at shutdown with some kernels

XeCycle xecycle at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 06:42:43 EDT 2012

Hello,

I've been using Arch 64 for a year or so, and I remember several
times (roughly 5) I have shutdown issues with the latest kernel
(at the time).  The system is locked at shutdown, I can do
nothing but to press the power button to force a power off.  I am
very sure it is locked --- NumLock doesn't even respond.  And it
doesn't return to tty as it would otherwise.  It came to me
again.  This time I decided to have linux-lts installed.

I'm curious, why is the problem always about shutdown?  Is this
bug from upstream or Arch patches?  I don't have other distros
installed by now though.

Btw, how does linux-lts differ from linux?  I found the -lts one
boots very slow for me, got stuck at "Waiting for UDev uevents to
be processed" for quite some time, around 30 sec.  With linux
it's similar, but not so long.  I have this issue when I use
vga_switcheroo, to switch between Intel graphics and ATI card.

Thank you.

--
Carl Lei (XeCycle)
Department of Physics, Shanghai Jiao Tong University