[arch-general] per-application streaming+recording+listening using pulseaudio

Robert Knauer robert at privatdemail.net
Sat Nov 10 01:45:22 EST 2012

Am 10.11.2012 05:33, schrieb Kyle:
> I need to be able to send a couple of applications (TeamTalk and either
> sox or audacious) to an icecast server and my local sound card at the
> same time, while also recording their output in audacity or another
> recording application, sox again may work here. I was able to find some
> information[1] that sometimes allowed me to stream to the icecast
> server, but even when it worked, the output of the application I moved
> to the streaming pulseaudio sink was no longer playing on the sound
> card, because it's sending the monitor of the null sink to the icecast
> server. I need to be able to either copy the output back to my local
> sound card, or setup an entirely new virtual sound card where I can move
> only the individual applications I want to record and stream, while also
> being able to hear the output on my sound card. Any help or links to
> some documentation that can show me how to do this would be greatly
> appreciated. I'm also open to any other suggestions I may not have
> thought of yet, including non-pulse-specific methods.
>
> [1]
> http://www.alex.ballas.org/2010/11/08/stream-any-pulseaudio-application/
>
> ~Kyle
> http://kyle.tk

I don't know if this is possible with PulseAudio, but you can definitely
do it with Jack[1].
If your applications don't support jack (e.g. audacity does), you have
to set up a bridge between jack and alsa or jack and PulseAudio, that's
relatively much work but i think it would be the best solution.

[1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/JACK_Audio_Connection_Kit

Robert

--
GnuPG-Key: EDC67BBA
Fingerprint: D5F0 BC03 3F6D 521C 6F2D  40C8 DDBA 25D9 EDC6 7BBA