[arch-general] Fuse and out-of-date packages in general

Anatol Pomozov anatol.pomozov at gmail.com
Sun Nov 11 00:19:11 EST 2012

+ronald

Hi

On Sat, Nov 10, 2012 at 10:22 AM, Lukas Jirkovsky <l.jirkovsky at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Actually I have more general question. There are many out-of-date
>> packages that are not updated for a long time. Should other
>> (non-package owners) take care of it?
>
> I can't tell why fuse is not updated, but often there is a reason for
> package being outdated for a longer period of time. For example, the
> rawtherapee package form [community], which is now outdated probably
> for a few months, was never updated because the current version has a
> bug that makes it crash on almost any action (the new version with a
> fix should be released soon though).
>
> If you want to help, I guess you could update a PKGBUILD, test it and
> send the PKGBUILD directly to the package maintainer. At least you
> should get a reply why the package is not updated.

Here the updated PKGBUILD file. And its diff:

7c7
< pkgver=2.9.1
---
> pkgver=2.9.2
19c19
< sha1sums=('ed9e8ab740576a038856109cc587d52a387b223f'
---
> sha1sums=('fcfc005b1edcd5e8b325729a1b325ff0e8b2a5ab'
29c29
<               --enable-util --bindir=/bin
---
>               --enable-util --disable-example --bindir=/bin

I updated the package version and added '--disable-example' configure
option. The second change is optional but makes build a little bit
faster as we do not need examples for Arch package.

wrt 2.9.2 version stability - this is an incremental update that
recommended by the upstream developer. One of my current job duties is
to support fuse filesystems at the company's production servers (this
includes also backporting kernel bug fixes). We use 2.9.2 at our 24x7
servers for a while and we do not see any issues with it. I think this
version is stable enough.