[arch-general] amd64 systems and archlinux

Curtis Shimamoto sugar.and.scruffy at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 22:14:32 EDT 2012

On 09/10/12 at 04:20am, John Hutchison wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 04:29:22AM -0400, Jude DaShiell wrote:
> > I have /dev/sda1 root, /dev/sda2 swap and /dev/sda3 /home.  So this is not
> > a single partition setup but a three partition setup if you count swap.
> Assume for this that /dev/sda is the bootloader _AND_ the device. As was
> said before: the first 512 bytes of the _hard drive device_ is the bootloader.
> (Assuming MBR)
>
> Perhaps you could go a little more in depth on your install process,
> maybe tell us what exactly you are trying to do.
>

> --
> John Hutchison
> Programmieren und
> Informatik-Abteilung
> Feiern Sie 21 Jahre Linux!
> gplus.to/athetius

The link I provided clearly shows you how to install to the mbr of a
partition.  I used to have to do this with my Mac as not to ruin the
windows partition (I think that is why I was doing that).  So it is
possible.  Whether it is a wise thing to do is questionable.

OP, I think if you just follow Arch's grub2 wiki, you probably would
have seen your error and/or resolved any problem you may have had. Grub2
has this "bug" because it is not how it is intended to be used.

Install it to /dev/sda like normal and you should be fine.
--
Curtis Shimamoto
sugar.and.scruffy at gmail.com