[arch-general] HDMI Alsa sound problem from flashplayer 64 bit

phanisvara das listmail at phanisvara.com
Thu Feb 7 06:25:06 EST 2013

On Thu, 7 Feb 2013 10:16:23 +0100
Cédric Girard <girard.cedric at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 7:48 PM, Mike Cloaked wrote:
>
> > Also I can get sound coming out of the monitor speakers with:
> >
> > aplay -D plughw:0,7 /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav
> >
> > However if I run chrome and play a flash video the video I can
> > see fine - but there is no sound.
> >
> > I have read all the available arch wiki articles about hdmi
> > sound including that at
> >
> > https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Advanced_Linux_Sound_Architecture#HDMI_Output_Does_Not_Workbut
> > as soon as I make a ~/.asound file with either of the suggested
> > contents KDE immediately tells me that the hdmi sound for that
> > output has been selected to be removed and offers me to make
> > that permanent!
> >

> I would suggest first to try without KDE on the way.
> The solution provided on the wiki should definitively work. In
> your case, the device number should be 7.
> Once setup, make new tests with speaker-test or aplay, without
> setting the device you want to use (what you try to do is to setup
> your hdmi device to be the default).
> Then, only, add KDE on the top. You will probably need to
> reconfigure kmix as your devices have changed.

of course it should work, but there's several possible reasons why
it might not.

since he's using KDE anyway, why not use pulseaudio instead? it's
the default for the big DEs, and in my experience it doesn't screw
up one's system anymore, as it used to in the beginning.

mostly, at least for me, it simply works. specially if you install
pavucontrol, an interface for all  hard- and software audio
channelsl on your machine.

--
phani.