[arch-general] UEFI madness

Mika Fischer mika.fischer at zoopnet.de
Sat Mar 2 03:27:47 EST 2013

On Sat, Mar 2, 2013 at 7:44 AM, David Benfell <benfell at parts-unknown.org> wrote:
> So, first, does anyone have actual--and successful--experience
> installing Arch on a UEFI system?

Yes, I'm using it without major problems for months now.

> GummiBoot says it can't find /vmlinuz-linux. I tried modifying the
> configuration to say /boot/vmlinuz-linux, but no joy. Apparently, I'm
> really supposed to copy this file and the initrd image to the EFI
> partition, but nobody says where in the EFI partition, so I have no idea.

The layout I have is as follows (where /boot/efi is my UEFI system partition):
/boot/efi/EFI/arch/vmlinuz-linux.efi
/boot/efi/EFI/arch/initramfs-linux.img
/boot/efi/EFI/arch/initramfs-linux-fallback.img
/boot/efi/EFI/gummiboot/gummiboot.efi
/boot/efi/loader/loader.conf
/boot/efi/loader/entries/arch.conf
/boot/efi/loader/entries/arch-fallback.conf

And loader/entries/arch.conf reads as follows:
title   Arch Linux
linux   /EFI/arch/vmlinuz-linux.efi
initrd  /EFI/arch/initramfs-linux.img
options root=UUID=<UUID of root fs> rootfstype=ext4 ro quiet

To automatically copy newly installed kernels and gummiboot loaders,
have a look at these links:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/UEFI_Bootloaders#Systemd
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Gummiboot#Automatic_copy_on_update

HTH!