[arch-general] Weird issue with Google Talk/Hangout plugin

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Wed Mar 6 14:23:03 EST 2013

I'm having a weird issue with the Google Talk plugin
(https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/google-talkplugin/) distorting all
my video images - both the ones of me coming in from my camera, and the
ones coming in from others across the Net. See
http://www.darose.net/GoogleHangWeirdness.png for an example.

Anyone have any idea what's going on here and/or how to fix?  This seems
to be a recent issue - i.e., probably caused by some package upgrade
within the past week or so.

I'm running google-talkplugin 3.14.17.0-1 with firefox 19.0-1.  But I
don't think the issue is caused by the plugin itself.  (Or by firefox,
since I see the same problem when I use Google chromium browser.)  I was
running an older version of the plugin - which had been working fine for
weeks - when I started experiencing the issue.  I upgraded to the latest
version in an attempt to work around the problem, but it didn't clear it
up.  So as I said, I don't think the plugin itself is the cause of the
problem - since 2 different versions of the plugin are experiencing the
issue, and the issue popped up out of the blue after things had been
working fine for quite a while.

Any assistance anyone might be able to lend here would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

DR