[arch-general] Cannot chroot '/bin/bash': No such file or directory

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Thu Mar 7 16:30:42 EST 2013

On 03/06/2013 08:24 PM, Ross Hamblin wrote:
> It's been a while now but ISTR this message when chroot from 32 bit host
> and 64 bit target, or maybe it was vice versa.
>
> HTH
> Ross.

  It does. It has to be something that simple. However, checking, I have booted
with the i686 install medium. The box is an older dell P4, so the i686 is
correct and matches the system installed. The install disk /bin/bash date is May
7, 2011. The /bin/bash on /dev/sda6 at /mnt/usr/bin/bash (after mount of the
system / at /mnt) is January 26, 2013. Attempting the chroot again on fresh
reboot gives the same failure:

# cd /mnt
# chroot /mnt
chroot: failed to run command `/bin/bash`: No such file or directory

  For some reason it is like the system has no ability to find anything. The
install cd is a pre /lib change cd, so that may be the issue. I have downloaded
the latest install cd and will try again.

Thank you again Ross.

Any other suggestions welcomed.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.