[arch-general] Cannot chroot '/bin/bash': No such file or directory

Rodrigo Rivas rodrigorivascosta at gmail.com
Thu Mar 7 17:42:26 EST 2013

On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 10:30 PM, David C. Rankin <
drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com> wrote:

> On 03/06/2013 08:24 PM, Ross Hamblin wrote:
> # cd /mnt
> # chroot /mnt
> chroot: failed to run command `/bin/bash`: No such file or directory
>
>   For some reason it is like the system has no ability to find anything.
> The
> install cd is a pre /lib change cd, so that may be the issue. I have
> downloaded
> the latest install cd and will try again.
>
> Thank you again Ross.
>
> Any other suggestions welcomed.

Well, that error usually happens, at least to me, when the dynamic loader
is unable to solve the shared dependencies of bash, hence the suggestion to
use busybox: it is statically linked, so it doesn't suffer of that problem.

In my machine the dynamic loader is `/usr/lib/ld-linux.so.2` but the
reference to it is `/lib/ld-linux.so.2`. It works because of the `/lib` ->
`usr/lib` symbolic link. I'd bet that the cause of your problem is that
this link is missing. If

If the symbolic link in /lib is correct, it also may happen because the
`/etc/ld.so.cache` file is corrupted. You can rebuild it using `chroot /mnt
/usr/bin/ldconfig` or maybe `ldconfig -r /mnt` (untested). That can work
because `ldconfig` is (obviously) a statically linked program.

HTH
Rodrigo